Saturday, August 20, 2011

For beginners.

Beginning are the easiest and hardest parts for me.
The good news is that there is no standard set.
The bad news is that I have to set the standard.



I spontaneously decided to begin a sewing blog. Probably irrational, and this may end up like the Exodus blog. To be honest, the Exodus blog will probably never be finished because it served its purpose already. I needed it to relate to when I was starting college. But once I settled, I no longer needed it.

I once wanted to be a photographer, so I bought a Nikon d40 with 18-135mm lens. Phenomenal. I paid for it. I raised that money. And when I did, it taught me that I could do anything I wanted. I am now selling that camera, not because I don't love it, but because it already served its purpose in my life. I found its meaning and now it is time to move on.

I will begin with this bit of sewing wisdom in my small amount of experience: it is an adventure. Things get messy and times, and messier at other times. I attempted a dress with no experience in January, which was both a nightmare and an accomplishment. It really made me love sewing, but it took a lot of patience and repeat-seams. Bless my 18-year-old heart, I didn't know what a seam ripper was.



It has made me appreciate the brokenness and messed up nature of my own life. People look at sewing creations and tell the creator of its beauty because they do not see the poor inside stitched or the many frustrations, but the beauty of creativity. Some things are simple and others more ornate. But the creator finds joy in them all.

Some may see where I go with this. I was walking into another friend's room tonight and admiring how beautiful her room was. I immediately returned my mind to my own room and remembered how simple and eclectic my belongings and decorations are. My life is simple. Everything that I own in this world is packed into a dorm room. I wanted what she had: the matching decorations, bright matching colors, multiple dresses to choose from, stylish simplicity, and the money with which to do that.

But when I returned to my room, I realized my thoughts. I love my life. I love that I don't have to match or have everything well placed and matched. It is nice and beautiful, but my simple life is still a rich life in the worldview.

God loves the both of us. The Creator sees the struggles and torn seams and frustrations in all of us and loves us all the same.

Funny how my little chunk of metal relates to so much. Or, should I say, SEW much?
This is the good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment