Sunday, September 11, 2011

Melted Crayon Art Tutorial

Today, I choose to celebrate beauty and new beginnings instead of sorrow, tragedy, and war.
So I began with crayons.
This is really easy and fun to do, especially with kids... or college students. But really, it would be fun with anyone.

Melted Crayon Art

I began with some crayons organized in rainbow order, a hot glue gun, and canvas painted black (any color works), and a hair dryer.

I could have just left the crayons like this and still been happy. I love colors.


I hot glued the crayons to the top of the canvas. Don't try to put down all the hot glue and then place the crayons; it will dry out. Do 4-5 crayons at a time.


Ta-da!


Prop the canvas up on a solid surface and line the bottom with paper towel in case of any dripping.


Hold the hair dryer over the center of the crayons and commence the melting!


Watch the colors flow. I found that it took about 1 minute for them to start melting, but then I could move the hair dryer back and forth and watch them melt one after another.


Melt to your satisfaction. I drew in 7 friends while doing this part. They were mesmerized.


And there you have it. Beautiful melted crayon art. Perfect for cheap decorating!
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, that's pretty wicked Amy! A great idea.
    I am glad that you chose beauty and new beginnings! What a beautiful creation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously fun Amy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...new thing to try. The colors are beautiful. :) Glad you found a way to find the joy today instead of just remembering the sadness. Today needed color.

    Love you, my inspiring and wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete