Sunday, September 18, 2011

Winter Prep: Part One

I am already dreading winter. Am I the only one?

I hate that its long and cold and dry and dead. It genuinely depresses me.
So, this year I am taking extra precautions to make sure winter is better than in the past.

Installment #1: Flower Pots

Who doesn't need some life and color during winter?
I bought these flower pots (yes, all SEVEN of them!) for $2 at my favorite little thrift store.


Then I had all my friends paint them for me. One friend needed a study break last week, so I put him on the painting job.
Then it just turned into lots of other people painting!
First there's Lauryn's, my old cactus Tobias Jorge, and Mia's...


Leana's, mine, and Emma's...


Hall activity cups by Mia and I, then Jordan's fire pot...


And last we have Nicole's pot, which is still waiting for some good painting.
Soon!



Installment #2: Cute Scarf

Another sewing project! Hooray!

I wanted to make a scrunched up cute scarf out of the material that I got at JoAnn's for 50 cents per yard. And it will match the skirt that I made with the same fabric! Double yes.

I cut out three strips of fabric, each getting slightly smaller. The middle one should be different than the outer two.



Then line them up on top of each other and pin them! Use elastic thread loosely wrapped around the bobbin and your average cheapest-one-we-can-find thread through your needle.


A lovely stretchy stitch!


Nicole really likes it, too. Another piece of clothing for us to share!


Simple and fun. A good Sabbath evening event!




Installment #3: Art in the Works

Tried something a little new today-- adding texture to the canvas!
I took an old, poorly painted canvas from my angsty high school days and covered it in two layers of tan paint. Why tan? Because I rarely use it. Cover it in whatever light neutral color you want.


I then took my hot glue gun and made designs. Other websites will tell you to use Elmer's Glue. Embrace their wisdom and not mine! The hot glue was more difficult than necessary.



I painted mine to be a rainbow theme, but also a "sun to earth" theme. I started with yellow and ended with green. I enjoy blending the colors so they lead into one another.


Voila!


Then I took my brush and dipped it in water to blend some more.


All while wearing a very mature and class Veggie Tales band-aid.


And there we go! Some beautiful art to remind me of God's promises to all of us throughout the winter. With some texture and design to it.

Once again, use the Elmer's glue. It'll take longer, but it'll be worth it.
I'll honestly probably redoing this one soon. Look for those changes coming at you pronto.



Bonus: Rocking Chair!

So I'm walking through Wayne today, and what do I find? A rocking chair sitting out for the trash! A perfect find. Nicole brought it back in the Tank and we decorated it  with our communal scarves, including the one just made. Mia also donated a Cars Pillow so the seat isn't so hard!




So winter is off to a good start. And it's not even fall yet. Life is good.





2 comments:

  1. WAYYYY jealous of that chair! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also jealous of the chair. I have been wanting a rocking chair for ages. The Andrews' have a really awesome old one that they use outside that I keep trying to figure out a way to talk them out of. Someday I will either buy one or stumble across one (like you did) or find someone who loves me enough to make me one. :) Enjoy that chair!

    And you should be receiving a package in the not too distant future (depending on how quickly I can find a way to the post office when it is ACTUALLY open & I get stuff put together) that should add the the general cheer in the winter concept. :) You'll see! Love, love, loooove you!

    ReplyDelete