Monday, August 29, 2011

Summer Striped Pocket Skirt

Just now feeling settled into the room. Summer pictures are up. Tomorrow, more rearranging will happen when my third roommate arrives!


After a lot of time spent on campus around people, I was able to get away for a while. Trader Joe's was right in the shopping center where I went with Hannah and I was able to buy a few delicious things for nights like tonight when I don't go to the dining commons.


After a morning of settling, sending my freshmen off to their meetings by themselves, and some much-appreciated time off campus, I was inspired to finish up my blue and white skirt. 

Here's how it happened:

I began with folding my fabric over on itself. I believe I used just a yard for this.

I then sewed up the open seam and turned the tube of fabric inside out. Now, time for elastic!
I cut the elastic to have a comfortable but snug waist band, then sewed the loop of elastic together to make a chain link around the fabric, lining it up with the inside seam that was just sewn.

I then sewed the fabric around that waist band. The open seam of fabric on the loop of elastic is pulled together by a large zig zag stitch.

I then closed up the edge seam of the skirt and turned the whole thing inside out. 
Then it was pocket time!
I did a simple pocket out of two pieces of cloth sewn together. I hemmed the top, then sewed the back part of the top of the pocket to the skirt. To finish, I did a rough seam around the outside of the pocket. 
My pocket was cut kind of funny, so make sure yours isn't like that.


And... voila! A skirt!


Beautiful. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I need to do this. I want to start making some of my own clothes & seeing a really simple proces...I might even be able to do this. :)

    Love you!

    ps. I love the bulletin board! :)

    ReplyDelete