Sunday, October 16, 2011

Simple Joy.

These amateur thoughts are brought to you by a theologian instead of the seamstress you usually see.

The first time I remember experiencing tears of joy, I was 17. I had taken a plane across the country by myself to visit some friends.

Easily and simply said, I was not content with my life in Ohio and was looking for escapes. If I was my mom, I probably wouldn't have let me go across the nation alone. I love meeting to strangers and am very trusting, and she knew that. But by grace, she let me go.



So I woke up one morning while staying at one of the friend's houses, and his mom had made me a huge breakfast. Hash browns, eggs, toast, the works. I was taken aback. No one ever made breakfast for me. In fact, I usually made my own dinner from a box or can. Why did she go so out of her way to make me all of this?

I was so overjoyed that I wanted to cry. (I held it in; I'm good at that.) Someone cared enough to take care of me.

I felt that way again this summer the last day that I was in Oregon this summer. My sister woke me up with my niece in one arm and my breakfast in the other hand. It made me inexplicably happy. My sister is one of the most amazing servants I have ever known.



Perhaps all of my examples revolve around food, but indeed the third example happened today.

After Church at Nueva Vida today, we went to Margaret and Emmanuel's house to have lunch with Emma, Largo, Lisa, Carlos, Alejandra, Heather, Lizzie, Hannah, and Katie.

Margaret and Emmanuel have been married for almost 50 years and still love and appreciate each other. Margaret and I share a common love for sewing, foster children, and camp. She is an inspiration to me.

They shared an enormous meal with us in their beautiful home. The moment that I felt like crying was when Margaret proudly introduced all of the food that she made. She genuinely cared about us. She wanted to know our stories and our lives. And she prepared a feast for the 10 of us. They imparted wisdom on us before we left, including learning to appreciate each other, putting aside differences for the sake of unity, and following passions without allowing work to use all of our time.

This was a picture of the church to me. How beautiful. This couple really, genuinely loved.

Luke 11:11-13 tell us this:
“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

God loves us an awful lot. Tears of  joy come from the moments when I see him at work in my life through someone else.

Life is beautiful and God is good, friends.

1 comment: